The original Forest Lodge building was constructed in 1916. It was built with local Jarrah timber on the outside and lined with hessian on the inside. Though slightly improved, the structure still stands today and houses the Reception, Breakfast Room and Lounge. Originally, the building was situated on an 85 acre block with only the building envelope cleared.
In 1935, a California Redwood (Sequoia Sempervirens) was planted beside a well near the building. The tree is not the tallest example of this species but nevertheless it has grown to be one of the largest in the region and is represented on our logo.
In 1949, the Valom family turned the premises into a guesthouse. Mr Valom (a carpenter by trade) built a wing on to the side of the original building comprising six lodging rooms, three back rooms and one room on the front veranda.
In 1964, the premises began providing accommodation under the name ‘Forest Lodge’.
In 1975, the McDonnell family became the new owners of the ‘Lodge’ and subsequently ran it for nine years.
In 1984, the establishment passed to the Bonini family. In the eleven years that followed, the Bonini’s developed the gardens and added more accommodation including four self contained motel units, four chalets and one homestead.
In 1985, they changed the name to ‘Forest Lodge and Motel’.
In 1995, the Langford and Fisher families purchased the premises and introduced its current name ‘Forest Lodge Resort’. Over the next seven years, the original lodge rooms were renovated into four guest rooms with their own en suites, two with spas, while the homestead also saw significant renovations. Major alterations to the main building were also carried out during this time and included a new reception and office, a manager’s residence, large commercial kitchen and public toilets. For some years the Broadaxe Restaurant operated successfully, serving fine cuisine to both locals and tourists.
In 2010, the property transferred to John and Kerrie McInnes. Improvements, included timber decks to the Breakfast Room and to the Homestead, to open them up to the lake. Extensive landscaping and limestone walls to the gardens. A new gazebo in the middle of the lake that is used for wedding ceremonies. In addition, all the accommodation units and Homestead are gradually being improved inside and out to ensure that a stay at Forest Lodge is both a relaxing and comfortable experience.
The ‘Lodge’ has developed an excellent reputation for hospitality and is now considered one of Pemberton’s premier Wedding and Function venues.
In 2017, the present owners Cirstin and Ingo Maass took over the Forest Lodge Resort.